No matter how faithfully you follow the rules of the road, other drivers may not. The recklessness or negligence of others may leave you a victim in a car accident. If you have been hurt in a crash that was someone else’s fault, you are entitled to pursue a claim for compensation. Call Hale & Monico today to speak with one of our experienced personal injury attorneys for representation in your car accident case.
Why Choose Our Firm?
- We are dedicated to assisting you in any way we can. We offer a free initial consultation with no obligation, and we will visit you at home, in the hospital, or wherever suits your needs.
- Our attorneys have more than three decades of combined experience and a history of success representing injured people.
- Andy Hale and Brian Monico are dedicated, passionate lawyers with extensive trial experience.
Do I Need an Attorney After a Car Accident?
If you or a loved one has suffered any type of injury in a motor vehicle collision, we recommend that you speak with one of our car accident attorneys. Car accidents can lead to significant medical bills, permanent disability, income gaps and many other hardships, especially in cases involving serious injury. Insurance companies are notorious for treating the injured unfairly and trying to pay as little as possible. An attorney will look after your best interests, handle the entire claims process and not settle for less than you deserve.
Common Causes of Car Accidents
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- 6,452,000 police reported traffic crashes occurred in the U.S. in 2017.
- 34,247 of these accidents were fatal.
- 1,889,000 caused injuries.
- 13,363 passenger cars were involved in fatal accidents.
- 1,529,000 passenger cars were involved in accidents causing injury.
Car accidents occur frequently in the U.S. and may be impossible to avoid when someone else is driving negligently. Common causes include:
- Distracted driving: Texting, talking on the phone, eating, reading, grooming, or any activity that diverts the driver’s attention away from operating the vehicle is dangerous. Texting is particularly alarming, as it requires visual, manual, and cognitive attention.
- Drunk driving: As reported by NHTSA, alcohol-impaired driving was involved in 9,477 fatal crashes in 2016. Among drivers of passenger cars involved in fatal accidents, 21% had blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08 or higher.
- Speeding: As stated by NHTSA, speeding accounted for 26% of all traffic deaths in 2017. The faster a vehicle is traveling, the more distance is required to stop and the greater the impact upon collision.
- Tailgating: Following too closely can lead to rear-end collisions if the driver ahead has to stop or slow down suddenly.
- Aggressive driving: This combination of dangerous driving behaviors may include speeding, tailgating, erratic lane changes, failure to yield the right-of-way, and failure to obey traffic signals and signs.
- Driving under the influence of drugs: Marijuana, illegal drugs, prescription pills, and even over-the-counter medications can impair driving and cause car accidents.
What Types of Injuries are Common in Car Accidents?
Car accidents can cause all types of injuries, from minor to catastrophic to fatal. Injuries commonly sustained in car wrecks include:
- Soft tissue injuries: This includes whiplash, a neck injury caused by a whip-like motion of the head and neck in a crash.
- Lacerations and abrasions: Scrapes and cuts can be caused by loose objects in the car that become projectiles in a collision, or by airbags when they deploy.
- Head injuries: A sudden stop or change in direction in a crash can cause impact of the head with a side window, steering wheel, or some other object.
- Chest injuries: The chest area can be injured when a person is thrown against the steering wheel or dashboard or from force against a seatbelt or shoulder harness.
- Arm and leg injuries: The force of a collision can cause the arms or legs to be thrown around inside the vehicle, resulting in injury.
Contact Our Chicago Car Accident Attorney Today!
At Hale & Monico in Chicago and New York City, we are dedicated advocates for injured people. Contact us as soon as possible if you have been hurt in a car accident caused by someone else’s negligence.