Motorcycle riders are likely to sustain serious injuries in a crash, many of which are caused by negligent drivers. If you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, contact Hale & Monico right away. Our experienced personal injury lawyers in Chicago and New York City are dedicated advocates for injured riders.
Why Choose Hale & Monico?
- We prepare every case thoroughly. This includes comprehensive research into the details of your case to help maximize your compensation.
- Attorneys Andy Hale and Brian Monico have more than 30 years of combined experience, including vast trial experience, successfully advocating for our clients in the courtroom.
- We are dedicated, passionate attorneys who will fight tenaciously for the compensation you deserve.
Who Is Liable in a Motorcycle Accident?
Liability for a motorcycle accident depends on negligence. If the driver of a car or truck caused the crash by driving negligently, he or she may be held liable for resulting injuries. For example, negligence may involve running a red light, tailgating, failing to yield the right-of-way, or changing lanes into a motorcycle.
What Causes Motorcycle Accidents?
Motorcycle crashes have many causes, including weather conditions, road conditions, rider skill levels, speeding, and impaired riding. Unfortunately, many motorcycle wrecks are caused by negligent or inattentive drivers. Common motorcycle accidents involve:
- Car making a left-hand turn in front of a motorcycle: The driver misjudges the motorcycle’s speed or fails to register the motorcycle in the roadway and turns left directly into its path.
- Driver changes lanes into a motorcycle: Trucks and cars have blind spots, and motorcycles can easily fit into them. Drivers are looking for cars. They sometimes fail to see a motorcycle and switch lanes into space it is occupying.
- Rear-end collisions: This is a common type of car accident, when a driver is following too closely, drunk, distracted, or inattentive. What would be a minor fender between two cars can be a fatal accident when a car hits a motorcycle from behind.
Why You Need an Attorney
A serious motorcycle crash can cause injuries that lead to significant medical bills and time away from work. Insurance companies often have teams of lawyers who are working to minimize their payouts. Our experienced personal injury trial attorneys can negotiate skillfully with insurance companies on your behalf, or fight for your rights in court, if necessary.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
The Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA) reports that:
- 4,798 motorcyclists were killed in traffic crashes in 2017 – a decrease from 5,251 in 2016.
- 162 riders died in fatal crashes in Illinois in 2017 and 136 died in New York.
- 43 was the average age of motorcyclists killed in 2016.
- 25% of motorcyclists involved in fatal crashes in 2016 were alcohol-impaired.
Common Injuries in Motorcycle Crashes
Motorcycles are smaller, less visible, and less stable than cars, trucks, and SUVs. Motorcyclists lack the protection of an enclosed vehicle, and a crash can cause serious injuries, including:
- Road rash (severe abrasions)
- Broken bones
- Facial fractures
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Internal injuries
- Lower-extremity injuries
Contact Our Chicago Motorcycle Accident Attorney Today!
If you have been seriously injured in a motorcycle accident caused by someone else’s negligence, contact Hale & Monico as soon as possible. We have a successful track record recovering substantial settlements and verdicts for our clients.