A collision between a car and a truck can be a traumatic experience, leading to devastating injuries. If you have been hurt or lost a loved one in a truck accident, call Hale & Monico in Chicago as soon as possible. Our experienced personal injury lawyers are dedicated advocates for injured people.
Why Choose Us?
- Truck accidents are complicated cases. We are thorough in our investigations and case preparation, conducting comprehensive research into the details, to help you recover the compensation you deserve.
- Our trial lawyers have more than three decades of combined experience and a successful track record. We have recovered tens of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts for our clients.
- We offer a free initial consultation with no obligation and will visit you in your home, the hospital, or whatever location is convenient for you. Our team is dedicated to assisting you in any way we can.
Why You Need a Lawyer
Truck accident claims are complex, high-stakes cases involving federal regulations and multiple potentially liable parties. Trucking companies and their insurers have teams of lawyers standing by to fight your claim. It is in your best interest to get an experienced personal injury attorney by your side to pursue the compensation you need after a serious truck accident.
What Causes Truck Accidents?
Like all motor vehicle wrecks, truck accidents have many causes. The most common include:
- Driver error: Although truck drivers have additional standards and rules that apply to them, they are capable of making mistakes. Accidents can occur when drivers are fatigued, distracted, or under the influence of drugs, or when they drive recklessly.
- Poor vehicle maintenance: Large commercial trucks travel many miles in a day. To operate safely, they must receive regular maintenance, due to this constant wear and tear.
- Equipment failure: Defective parts can cause equipment failure, leading to serious truck accidents. In this case, potentially liable parties may include the truck manufacturer, a parts manufacturer, or the party who installed the parts or performed the repairs.
- Improper loading of cargo: Commercial truck beds must be loaded according to industry-specific regulations. Negligence or errors in the loading procedure can result in the load falling off into the road.
Who Is Liable?
There may be several liable parties in a truck accident case. Depending on the circumstances surrounding the crash, responsible parties may include:
- Truck driver
- Trucking company
- Cargo company
- Truck manufacturer
- Parts manufacturer
Truck Accident Statistics
As stated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS):
- 4,102 people were killed in large truck crashes in 2017.
- 68% of those fatalities were passenger vehicle occupants.
- 14% were motorcyclists, bicyclists, or pedestrians.
- Only 17% were occupants of large commercial trucks.
- The number of truck accident fatalities in 2017 was 30% higher than in 2009.
- 11% of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2017 occurred in accidents involving large trucks.
- 31% of all passenger vehicle occupants killed in large truck collisions in 2017 were struck head-on by the truck.
- 25% were side-struck by a large truck.
Contact Our Chicago 18 Wheeler Accident Attorneys
If you were hurt in a truck accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you deserve to recover full compensation for your injuries. Damages you are entitled to claim may include extensive medical bills, lost earnings, pain and suffering, and other losses. Contact Hale & Monico right away for the dedicated legal advocacy you need.