Losing a loved one through the negligence or wrongdoing of another is a tragedy that is painful beyond measure. A wrongful death claim is a legal avenue to seek justice for your loved one, hold responsible parties accountable, and seek compensation for your family’s future. Call Hale & Monico in Chicago or New York City today to learn about your legal options through a consultation with one of our personal injury attorneys.
Why Choose Hale & Monico?
- Our attorneys have the knowledge, skills, and resources to effectively pursue the maximum compensation available under the law in your wrongful death claim.
- Our combined experience totals more than three decades of successfully advocating for people who have been injured through the negligence of others or suffered misconduct or violations of their rights.
- We are thorough in our investigations and case preparations, and creative in our courtroom presentations, using new technologies and methods to help substantiate your claim.
What Is Wrongful Death in Chicago?
Wrongful death is the basis of a civil action filed for the benefit of surviving family members of a deceased person against the party or parties responsible for a death caused by negligence or intentional harm. This is a special type of personal injury lawsuit, typically filed by the personal representative of the estate of the deceased.
Causes of Wrongful Death
Wrongful death claims arise when personal injury results in death. Common causes of wrongful death include:
- Automobile accidents
- Truck accidents
- Bicycle accidents
- Construction accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Defective and dangerous products
- Criminal acts
What Damages Can You Claim In A Wrongful Death Suit
Damages in this type of lawsuit will depend on the state in which it is filed, and the specific facts demonstrated in court.
In the state of New York, only the personal representative of the estate of the deceased may file a claim for the benefit of surviving family members. Damages you may be entitled to claim include:
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Medical expenses related to the final injury or illness of the deceased
- Conscious pain and suffering endured by the deceased because of the final injury or illness
- Benefits and wages lost between the final injury or illness of the deceased and his or her death
- Value of support and services the deceased would have provided to family members
- Value of parental care, guidance, and nurturing to surviving children
- Lost inheritance suffered by surviving children
- Interest on the damage award calculated from the date of death
Chicago & Throughout Illinois
In Illinois, damages may include:
- Loss of support
- Loss of consortium (the right of association and companionship with a spouse)
- Grief, sorrow, and mental suffering
Why You Need a Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer
Our experienced attorneys have the knowledge, skills, and resources to handle every aspect of your wrongful death claim while you mourn the loss of your loved one. We can:
- Thoroughly investigate the death of your loved one
- Determine the cause of death
- Identify the liable parties
- Obtain and preserve evidence
- Navigate the court system
- Deal with insurance companies on your behalf
Contact Our Chicago Wrongful Death Attorney!
Our experienced personal injury attorneys at Hale & Monico can handle your wrongful death claim to seek justice for your loved one, while you focus on recovering from your loss. Contact us as soon as possible to schedule a free consultation with no obligation.